This late 17th century house stands beside the former graveyard for the church of St Alphege. It served as a pub in the early 19th century. The front was replaced in the 18th century and has since been restored (to its original style) by the late Anthony Swaine.
The first floor string course is covered in the attached images by wisteria. The fact that the string course does not continue over the front door suggests that a portico of some kind has been removed. Such actions were common during the workings of the city Improvement Commissioners, launched in 1787.
Sources: Cantacuzino (1970); and Images of England web site