CANTERBURY HISTORICAL 

& ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY (CHAS)

logo-1.2
HISTORY PAGES
ARCHITECTURE logo-1.2

This property (Image 1) offers a good example of early Georgian city architecture:  parapet, string courses and drip moulds (Image 2), large '3 by 5' pane sash windows, and a dated down pipe (1725) which looks wholly plausible (Image 3).  Lettering below the date is a mystery.

 

The fine boot scraper (back to back griffins) is a bonus (Image 4)!  The rear of the property (next to public lavatories by the car park) shows a stone tablet reminding us of a former use of the premises as headquarters of the Nursing Institute (Image 5).

 

DL

 

 

Abbot's mill
> BACK TO NOTEBOOK HOME PAGE

62 Burgate

> BACK TO BUILDINGS INDEX