Burgate House (Image 1) was the first major retail rebuilding after WWII war damage. It was built in 1950 on especially deep piles as it stands on a large shell crater. The project was funded by the people of Canada.
What to see:
The fading and easily missed plaque explaining that funding for the development came from the government of Canada (Image 2)
The Canadian maple leaf motif in some of the cast iron balconies (Image 3)
The false chimney stacks given away by small windows (Image 4)
Access: visible from Burgate Street
Sources: Cantacuzino (1970); Newman (1983)