Mosaics are wall or floor surfaces made from small pieces of tiles, stones, glass or other materials in pictorial or abstract patterns. The earliest mosaics in Canterbury are at the Roman Museum in Buchery Lane on the site of a Roman townhouse where a Roman pavement and corridor panels were discovered after the Second World War bombings. The museum has put its own modern mosaic on the street entrance and there are a number of other advertising and decorative entrance mosaics in the city.
(click on the images to enlarge)
Deakin was a menswear shop on the corner of Sun Street and Guildhall Street for 150 years. The site became a restaurant cafe , La Trappiste, from 2010 to 2017 but then a new restaurant opened as Deakins, giving the meaning back to the mosaics
Another menswear shop was Woods, established in 1782 (see advertisement, right) at 19 St Margaret's Street. It is now County Clothes.