John Peckham (ODNB Pecham) (1230-1292) was the only friar to become Archbishop of Canterbury, a post he held from 1279 until his death. He brought to the Priory a stricter observance of the Benedictine tradition. The respect in which he was held is reflected in the honour of a burial place in the Martyrdom.
What to see:
a fine early example of a decorated-style canopy complete with ogees and cusps (Image 1)
the oak wood effigy on a Purbeck marble slab, showing Peckham wearing his chasuble (sleeveless outer garment) covering his pallium fixed with three pins
on Peckham's head, fixing for the missing silver mitre (Image 2)
one of the earliest examples of weepers on the side of a tomb - these represent Peckham's suffragan bishops
Sources: see standard cathedral sources