Click here to see a plan of the cathedral with Viewpoint 4 marked.
Click here for an overview of the history and architecture of the choir and surrounds.
Although small traces of Norman masonry remain, most of what we see in the north transept is the work of Prior Chillenden (1391-1411). The Deans' chapel on the eastern side, earlier the chapel of Our Lady Martyrdom and St Benedict, takes its name from the memorials to Deans Boys, Rogers, Turner and Fotherby. Major changes in the Martyrdom since the murder of Becket include a rebuilding of the steps (originally built as the steps on the north side appear today), and the removal of a pillar and vault which obstructed the view of the Becket altar.
What to see:
the Dean's chapel, in particular the tomb of Dean Boys, and the early fan vault ceiling above - note that this chapel is today reserved as a place of private prayer