Click here to see a plan of the cathedral with Viewpoint 12 marked.
Click here for an overview of the history and architecture of the choir and surrounds.
The Canterbury central tower was completed around 1510. It took the place of the earlier Norman 'Angel steeple' but took its new name, Bell Harry, from Prior Henry Eastry. It required half a million bricks and a facing of Caen stone, all raised to ceiling level by means of a two man treadmill that is still in place. Three decorated strainer arches were inserted to strengthen the piers which bear this weight.
What to see:
the fan vault ceiling (Image 1) and strainer arches (Image 2)
the pulpitum screen (Image 3)
the Ostiarius Choiri chair (Image 3 far left)