Holy Water Stoup (installed 2010)
Sculptor: Stephen Cox
The holy water stoup by the south west porch is made from three pieces of identical stone, here referred to as Fawakhir Breccia, but see the more detailed geological description on this site.
Stephen Cox has used the Egyptian conglomerate before in 2003 for a work called Portal, when he named the stone Green Hammamat Breccia. He has gone on record as saying “I visited the ancient quarries of Wadi Hammamat whose breccia has been prized for so long that these are, perhaps, the oldest decorative stone quarries in the world”. Having visited the quarries and recognised the intrinsic artistic qualities of the stone he has made arrangements with the local authorities to quarry and transport blocks of suitable sized stone for his sculptural projects. For further details click here
South Wall of Nave
Margaret Babington (1878-1958)
The sculptress for this memorial in the nave was Mary Gillick. She has shown Miss Babington in profile and her appearance at around the time she began her association with the Friends of Canterbury Cathedral. The plaque is inscribed: “a devoted friend of the cathedral". She was the author of the local bestselling book, The Romance of Canterbury Cathedral. Mary Gillick is best known for her portrayal of Elizabeth II on UK coinage from 1953 to 1970. For more on Margaret Babington, click on the images, right. The memorial is a bronze portrait medallion inset upon a stone tablet – the stone is probably a variety of Hopton Wood Stone, a limestone from Derbyshire.
Normandy Veterans Association
This memorial plaque commemorates the Allied Landings on 6th June 1944 and was dedicated in 1989. The material used for the tablet resembles Honister Slate (formerly known as Westmoreland Green or Lakeland Green Slate), a stone quarried or mined from the central Lake District in Cumbria. It is called slate because it has a well developed cleavage; the face of the tablet follows the plane of the cleavage. The stone is from a volcaniclastic sediment, material originating from a volcanic vent and deposited in water, which has a distinctive olive-green colouration. The beds are Ordovician in age.
James George Beaney (1828-1891)
Surgeon, politician and philanthropist
Sculptor James Forsyth
Much of the monument is carved from alabaster. The portrait medallion and dramatic relief is in white marble (probably Carrara Marble). The six columns resemble Connemara Marble from County Galway, Ireland. The stone was originally a muddy limestone deposited during the Proterozoic that was later deformed during a mountain building episode. The marble’s distinctive green colour arises from the presence of the metamorphic mineral serpentine. For more on Beaney's life click here; for more on this memorial click here.
Tablet commemorating the Kent Cyclist Battalions
The tablet is situated below the memorial commemorating members of the battalions who lost their lives during the First World War. The stone was placed following the rededication in 1950. The tablet is possibly a variety of Hopton Wood Stone, a limestone from Derbyshire. For more on the Cyclist Batallion see related Canterbury Times article (opens as a pdf).
Sir George Gipps (1790-1847)
Soldier and Colonial Governor
This memorial is a marble bust of the Lieutenant Colonel upon an inscribed low relief funerary chest, all carved from white Carrara Marble. The bust is backed by a grey marble slab reminiscent of an arched window surround. This grey metamorphic marble (recrystalised limestone) is characterized by a profusion of thin dark grey veins running parallel to one another and was quarried from the Carrara area in the Apuan hills. The grey streaks are carbon-rich. It is known as Bardiglio Marmor and is often used in conjunction with white Carrara Marble with which it was exported and provided a strong visual contrast. Other memorials on the south wall of the nave have a similar juxtaposition of stones.
Lt Colonel John Stuart (d. 1808)
Sculptor: Peter Turnerelli
This sculptural figure work of a wounded officer supported by the embodiment of the Nation commemorates a soldier killed in battle during the Peninsular War. The figures and lower inscribed sarcophagus are of Carrara Marble. The rear arched panel is a grey metamorphic marble (recrystalised limestone) with numerous anastomosing white veins and cloud-like patches; a stone marketed as Marmo Nuvolato. The grey marble is rich in finely disseminated carbon. The stone was quarried from the Carrara area in the Apuan hills and probably brought to England in large consignments of various grey and white marbles. Occasionally a sculptor would seek to reinforce the mood of their work through the choice of materials. In this monument it can be argued that the figures depicted in a pure white Carrara Marble are superimposed upon a roiling storm-laden martial sky of Marmo Nuvolato.
Canterbury Cross wall stone
The Canterbury Cross is a symbol of the Christian faith and the Anglican church. The design of the cross is based upon a Saxon (c. 850 AD) brooch found in 1867 in St George's Street, Canterbury. In 1935 ninety-three stone crosses were financed and all but one sent as gifts by the Dean and Chapter to Anglican cathedrals "throughout the Empire". Packed in small wooden cases the stone crosses were sent to 90 cathedrals within the Empire and two to cathedrals in the United States of America. The stones were dedicated by Archbishop Cosmo Lang at the Empire Service on 15 June 1935. The wall stone weighs 5.2kg and measures 25.4 x 35.5 cm.
The cross and the plaque are cast from bronze and mounted upon a block of Caen Stone taken from the cathedral. The cross and the stone from the Mother Church were to promote unity within the Anglican community. Below the cross in the cathedral nave is a register detailing cathedrals in receipt of a Wall Stone.
For more on the Canterbury Cross click here (opens as a pdf)
© Geoff Downer 2019
click to enlarge and read captions