Canterbury Historical and Archaeological Society was established in 1920 ‘to encourage the study of the history and antiquities of the City of Canterbury and surroundings and to preserve the architectural features and characteristics of the City.’ Its original name of Canterbury Archaeological Society was extended in 2011 to include wider Historical aspects. This served to emphasise that its remit covers all aspects of the history and development of Canterbury City.
Our president is the Lord Mayor of Canterbury. Our Vice President is Professor Paul Bennett MBE.
Currently, our principal activities are:
- To arrange a series of winter and spring lectures by invited speakers on historical and archaeological subjects (non-members are welcome on payment of a small fee) – click here for more details
- To organise summer excursions to places of historical interest (click here for more details)
- To publish booklets on topics of local historical interest (click here for more details)
- To offer small grants to support the work of those engaged in studying local historical topics (click here for more details)
The Society is a registered charity (no. 227491). The logo, the watermark to these pages, is based on an ancient silver pilgrim’s badge held by the Canterbury Royal Museum.
For web links to organisations that may be of interest, please click here.