Burgate House (Image 1) was the first major retail rebuilding after WWII war damage. It was built in 1950 on especially deep piles as it stands on a large shell crater. The project was funded by the people of Canada.
What to see:
- The fading and easily missed plaque explaining that funding for the development came from the government of Canada (Image 2)
- The Canadian maple leaf motif in some of the cast iron balconies (Image 3)
- The false chimney stacks given away by small windows (Image 4)
Access: visible from Burgate Street
Sources: Cantacuzino (1970); Newman (1983)