A covered walkway, normally adjoining a wall – derived from French la pente meaning the slope. All images below relate to the cathedral pentice (built circa 1400).
The Canterbury pentise was provided by Prior Chillenden to make it possible for better off pilgrims to walk under cover between the Court Gate and the Cellarer’s Hall. It has stood here since the end of the 14th century – the original scissor-braced tiled roof stands on walls of flint and ashlar.
There is no public access to the pentise itself, but it can be seen from outside Chiilenden Chambers (Images 1 and 2) and from other viewpoints off Green Court (Image 3).
Local example (click to enlarge image)
Sources: Newman (1983); Sparks (2007); Woodman (1980)