Queningate Car Park

The area immediately outside the city walls now named the Queningate car park was site of the Star Brewery from 1851 until its demolition in 1931 (Image 1).  Vestiges of the brewery premises include a large concrete slab still attached to the city wall (Image 2).

A ceremonial opening of the new vista of this section of the city wall, the car park and the top of the range toilets with ornamental iron work and lamp holders (Image 3) took place in June 1931.  The labour cabinet minister George Lansbury attended the official opening, and the Kentish Gazette reported the cost of the scheme as £18,500 of which £2,300 was devoted to the lavatories.

This stretch of wall also includes remains of the Queningate gate (Image 4).