This is a memorial to the Buffs (formerly Royal East Kent Regiment), It can be found to the south east of the cathedral building.
The stone plinth reminds us that the Buffs were formed in 1572; it is therefore one of the oldest regiments in the British Army.
The regiment’s Latin motto, quoted on the plinth, reads ‘VETORI FRONDESCIT HONORE’ . This has been translated as ‘Its Ancient Honour Flourishes’.
For more on the Buffs click here (Warriors’ chapel).